Check one off of your bucket-list with this incredible adventure. The unmatched beauty, solitary anchorages and complex navigation provides an experience that will take you through some of the most complex and challenging waters found anywhere in the world.
This course is for seasoned sailors, whose accumulated experience presumes an understanding of weather, electronic navigation, vessel systems and maintenance, boat handling in various weather conditions, and an understanding of coastal navigation and tidal waters. Our Yachtmaster Instructors will challenge you to master advanced navigation, night passages, and learn how to plan for offshore sailing. This journey includes the opportunity to learn Celestial Navigation, the oldest form of navigating by sun and stars, the understanding of which provides a vital as an emergency backup in the event of electronic failure and a greater depth of understanding of navigation.
Topics covered include:
- Line Handling, Docking & Boat Handling Under Power
- Points of Sail & Sail Handling
- Vessel handling in confined quarters
- Man Overboard & Safety/Emergency Procedures
- Knots & Seamanship
- Tides, Currents, & Navigation
- Celestial Navigation
- Weather Patterns
- Meal Planning
- 10-days/10-nights accommodation in a fully appointed cabin aboard a 40-50′ yacht
- Delicious meals prepared as a crew – see our sample menus
- Yachtmaster Instructional Skippers whose local knowledge and advanced skills will teach and encourage you to reach your goals
- Rental of tether and harness, if needed
- Achievement of the equivalent of Bareboat Skipper (10+ days liveaboard instruction) and Coastal Navigation
- The equivalent of at least three seasons (minimum 40 days) sailing or 250 nautical miles sailing, ideally on a coastal waterway
- VHF – ROC radio certificate
Certifications: Students who wish to obtain certifications may pursue Coastal Skipper Advanced, IYT Yachtmaster Coastal, and Celestial Navigation, depending on qualifications. All students will receive the same theory materials – achievement of the various levels of certification depends upon each students prior experience and sea miles (as skipper). Students who take this course also qualify to achieve IYT Bareboat Skipper with the International Certificate of Competency (for international chartering opportunities).
Minimum Sea Mile/Experience Requirements (to be achieved prior to the time of testing):
- Coastal Skipper Advanced: 300 nm/at least one season (20 days) sailing, ideally on a coastal waterway
- Yachtmaster Coastal: 500 nm, including 20-days as skipper, and 12 hours on watch at night
- Yachtmaster Coastal: $350
- Bareboat Skipper w/ICC: $350
- Celestial Navigation: $125
- VHF: $60
Course Materials/Theory: Study materials for the theory portion of this course will be a combination of online and books, depending upon the course. Celestial Navigation includes a copy of Tom Cunliffe’s Celestial Navigation. All students will receive access to a folder containing materials to prepare in advance. Students will also be emailed a folder so that they can review their assigned vessel’s manual so that they are prepared in advance.
Required Equipment: (all available in our store for purchase)
- PFD’s, tether, and harnesses (All of these items can be purchased or rented from us
- Rigging knife, flashlight with red lens/head mounted light
- Special orders upon request
CURRENT WAITLIST: OCTOBER 10th to 21st Course
Cost: $5000 including Fully Appointed Cabin, Food, Fuel & Moorage.
Share a cabin & receive 15% discount per person in the shared cabin
CUSTOM CRUISE & LEARN COURSES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST
Please contact email@example.com for details