The sailing season is sadly coming to an end, and here at Nanaimo Yacht Charters our thoughts turn to winter maintenance on our sailboats. Follow our guide to get your sailing boat ready for winter and the quicker you will be on the water again come Springtime!
- Allow yourself plenty of time and make a plan of the jobs you need to do and when you are going to do them.
- Ensure that all your plumbing systems are completely drained as water freezing can cause lots of damage over the winter – check all pipes, tanks, pumps and strainers.
- Empty the holding tank and check your yachts manual on the best procedure to lay up your system heads.
- Check the bilges and the water tanks.
- Take off your boat all personal and housekeeping items, including cushions, bed linen and curtains – if left onboard over the winter they can get damp and mouldy.
- Remove all loose electronics and battery powered items from the boat, such as torches etc.., these can become damaged by damp and corrosion.
- Wash down all surfaces and hardware.
- Check all your onboard safety equipment is in good working order, eg fire extinguishers and buoyancy aids.
- Get the engine serviced and laid up correctly, including your fuel tanks.
Or contact us here at Nanaimo Yacht Charters and see how we can help you, remember the more work you do now, the quicker you will be on the water come Spring!