• Charter Search
  • View Favourites (0)

School Accreditation – IYT

School Accreditation  IYTNanaimo Yacht Charters & Sailing School has been accredited by International Yacht Training to be one of its Sail training partners.

Now we can offer you courses on the IYT curriculum that are recognised by 25 different Governments worldwide for commercial use including the British Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).


International Certificate of Competence – ICC

What is an ICC?

An ICC may be considered as an International License to operate a specific type and size of vessel within Greater European Waters; that is the countries that make up the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE or ECE).

It is a certificate, which may be issued to anyone who has successfully completed certain national boating licenses or has successfully passed an ICC examination to prove the necessary competence for pleasure craft operation. The ICC itself provides documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in Resolution 40.

Resolution 40 lays down the competency standards required to be met and other legal requirements such as languages on the certificate, and was developed by a sub commission, The Inland Water Committee (IWC)

Which countries require or accept an ICC?

22 of the 56 UNECE member nations have formally applied Resolution 40 (but not in its entirety in some cases). Generally they will accept an ICC:

Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom. Often, even if an ICC is not required, local police, harbour masters and other local authorities understand the system and accept an ICC as sufficient proof of competence even when there is no legal obligation for them to do so.

All ICCs are for coastal waters, so if candidates want to use or charter a vessel on inland waters they will need to take and pass a CEVNI test

What is CEVNI?

(Code Europeen Des Voies De Navigation Interieure (Revision 2))

For ICC holders who wish to operate avessel in Inland waters (Canals, lakes and rivers) they have to complete and pass a test which covers inland rules and signs.

To obtain the “Inland Waters” Endorsement, one MUST pass an additional CEVNI Test for Inland Waterways.

Will an ICC cover competency requirements to charter a boat?

Yes, if the area in which you are to charter is one of the countries listed above.

For charter on inland waterways a CEVNI endorsement will be required.

Nanaimo Yacht Charters & Sailing School Ltd
1690 Stewart Ave Nanaimo BC BC Canada V9S 4E1
1-250-754-8601 / 1-877-754-8601 Start Price 1000 CAD
Nanaimo Yacht Charters & Sailing School Ltd
1690 Stewart Ave Nanaimo BC BC Canada V9S 4E1
1-250-754-8601 / 1-877-754-8601 info@nanaimoyachtcharters.com

Nanaimo Yacht Charters & Sailing School Ltd.
1690 Stewart Ave Nanaimo BC, Canada V9S 4E1
Email: info@nanaimoyachtcharters.com

© 2007-2024 Nanaimo Yacht Charters.

Building Business Online

  • We will use the data you submit to fulfil your request. Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.